Transform your look with Fake Bake's Before and After Self-Tanning Tips and Tricks!
Before You Bake
The best "after" results start before you apply any sunless tanning lotion, gel, liquid or mousse. The experts at Fake Bake know exactly how to prepare skin for fake tans that are streak free and natural looking.
1. Skip the wax. Wait at least 24 hours after waxing to apply self-tanners.
2. Shave and exfoliate. If you don't want to shave your arm hair, opt for our Flawless Mousse to buff around it effortlessly. Choose an exfoliant that's oil free because oil inhibits self-tanner absorption.
3. Hit the rough spots. Apply a light, oil-free moisturizer to areas that tend to absorb more tanner, like elbows, knees and ankles. This will ensure an even, flawless result.
How Dark Will My Fake Tan Be?
Fake Bake products work with the natural pigments in your skin to develop natural-looking tan results. These are not stains, so the darkness of your fully-developed faux glow depends partly on the color of your skin before you apply them.
Keep in mind that Fake Bake self-tanners are buildable, which means you can reapply on several days in a row until you achieve the color you desire. For a truly tailored tan, 60 Minutes Self-Tan Liquid lets you choose how long to leave it on, depending on how dark you want to go.
Breaking down the shades by product looks like this:
Subtle Glow - Fair-skinned beauties can achieve a lit-from-within glow without risking sunburn or skin cancer with Fake Bake products.
- Our Fair Gradual Self-Tan Lotion delivers a subtle glow that lasts a week.
- Our innovative Tanning Water goes on crystal clear and develops a natural-looking tan while hydrating, nourishing and calming your skin with botanicals and gentle ingredients.
- The Face Anti-Aging Self-Tan Lotion reverses the aging process with clinical levels of Sederma's Matrixyl-3000 while bringing a sunless, sun-kissed glow to your mug.
Golden Tan -
- It all started with Fake Bake Original Self-Tan Lotion. This darling delivers the longest lasting results of our products, thanks to the way skin deeply drinks in self-tanning lotions.
- Flawless Self-Tan Liquid is one of our best sellers, and it's no wonder why. A light scent of tropical coconut adds to the experience of looking like you just got back from a sunny vacation.
- Lightweight and silky-smooth, our Flawless Mousse buffs on easily over arm hair with the included professional mitt applicator. This non-drying formula loves all skin types, even sensitive skin.
- Flawless Coconut Tanning Serum combines self-care with self-tanning for your face and body. Skin-loving ingredients that melt in while enhancing your color include coconut oil, hyaluronic acid, glycerin and silk amino acid. Your firmer, plumper more hydrated skin will glow, inside and out.
Tropical Radiance -
- Get a deeply bronze professional-looking tan with Flawless Darker Self-Tan Liquid and the included application mitt. This one's for those who dare to go to the dark side.
- Double Shot Espresso is our darkest formula yet! This luxurious gel awakens your senses with a light coffee aroma and transforms your look with a deep, rich tropical radiance.
How Long Does It Take for the Fake Tan to Develop?
- Express Lane: 60 Minutes Self-Tan Liquid - Initial golden color from this self-tanner develops in just one hour. Leave it on for two hours to get a deeper bronze tone, or delay the rinse for three hours for an even darker tan.
- Less Than a Day: Double Shot Espresso, Fair Gradual, Flawless Coconut Serum, Flawless Darker, Flawless Mousse, The Face - These Fake Bake options develop in four to six hours, but you can leave them on for up to eight hours for deeper results.
- Overnight Glow: Flawless Liquid, Original Lotion, Tanning Water - With these self-tanning lotions, liquids and waters, we recommend you apply in the evening and leave the product on overnight. After about eight hours, you can shower off the color guide to reveal your full color. Of course, if you'd like to go darker, simply reapply two or three evenings in a row and build your glow.
How Do You Apply Self-Tanner Without Streaks?
Achieve a flawless, professional-caliber fake tan at home with our expert tips:
1. Keep your cool. The best place to apply sunless tanning lotions is cool and dry. Any moisture - including sweat - on your skin can cause streaking and dark spots.
2. Gather your tools. Waterproof application gloves are included with most Fake Bake products. They'll help avoid stained palms. The best technique is to use an application mitt to get consistent amounts of product evenly spread. How do you apply tanning lotion to your back? Either turn the mitt around so the applicator side is on the back of your hand as you reach behind your torso - or simplify your life with a Body Mate 360° Self-Tanning Applicator for hard-to-reach areas like your back, shoulders and buttocks.
3. Go lightly on hands and feet. Tackle these areas last, using the residual product on your application mitt to apply a light amount. Avoid your heels and the soles of your feet entirely. If you get a little too much self-tanner between your fingers or toes, use a moist terrycloth towel or Fake Bake Tan Corrector and Eraser to clear up oopsies.
After Care for an Endless Summer
Keep your safe sunless tan glowing as long as possible with these tips:
- In the first 24 hours: Wear loose-fitting clothes and wait to shower, sweat heavily or swim until the full development time has passed. Use baby powder instead of deodorant because chemicals in most deodorants can inhibit the development of self-tanners.
- Over the next few days: Moisturize with an oil-free moisturizer every day. Oils will break down the tanning pigments and undo all your hard work. Use an exfoliant (preferably one that does not contain alpha hydroxy acids) every two or three days to slough off dead skin cells that can cloud your glow.
- Highlight your assets: Enhance your beach babe look with bronzers and blushes formulated to bring out your best features. Cheekbones, collar bone, shoulders and even legs get a little shimmer that amps up your sun-kissed beauty.
- Rejuvenate your tan: Dipping into the pool or sweating profusely from intense exercise can fade your faux glow. To boost your bronze, add a few drops of self-tanning liquid to your oil-free moisturizer and massage it into your skin. Fake Bake Tanning Water is great for this.