One of the greatest beauties of a self-tan is the ability to keep it looking fabulous without much effort at all. As long as you properly prepare your skin before your tan and care for it afterward, you can keep it looking luscious for the long haul. These tips from Fake Bake fill you in on the best way to maintain, darken, prepare for and care for your self-tan.
How Often to Apply Self-Tanner to Maintain a Tan
If your tan is the exact shade you love and you want to keep the gorgeous glow, you typically only have to apply self-tanner about once a week. This applies to tanning solution you put on your body, which tends to be exposed to fewer products and washing than your face.
If you notice your facial tan starting to fade sooner than a week, you can apply self-tanner more frequently.
How Often to Apply Self-Tanner to Build Up a Tan
When you’re just starting out with self-tanner and want to build up a deeply rich color, you can apply self-tanner more frequently than once a week. Depending on the specific product and the look you’re hoping to achieve, you can apply certain products every day as needed.
Facial tanning products often fall into this category, such as The Face Anti-Aging Self-Tan Lotion with Matrixyl-3000. With exceptional ingredients that produce a safe and gentle tan, this Fake Bake face tanner can be applied daily to build up gradual, subtle color that won’t show in your pores.
Once you build up your tan to the color you want, you can then switch to weekly applications of the self-tanning product. When you provide proper preparation and aftercare, the best self-tanning products can easily last a week.
How to Properly Prep for a Self-Tan
Your tan will last the longest if you take a few steps before you start applying your tanning lotion, gel, liquid, serum or mousse.
- Exfoliate: Gently exfoliate the skin on your entire body to remove dead skin cells and generate the growth of new ones. Exfoliation ensures your skin is as smooth as possible. The smoother skin is, the more consistent your tan will appear.
- Hydrate: Hydrating your skin is another must before you apply your self-tanning product. For best results when tanning at home, opt for a lightweight, oil-free body moisturizer or moisturizing body spray.
- Absorb: While you want your skin hydrated prior to tanning, you don’t want it wet. Make sure all the moisturizer is absorbed before you begin to apply the tanning product.
- Follow Instructions: Each self-tanning mousse, gel, lotion, liquid or serum will have its own specific set of directions. Follow them to a T. One general rule to use is to apply the self-tanning solution in a circulation motion for the most consistent and even coverage.
- Accessorize: You’ve heard having the right tool for the job makes life easier, and this also applies in the world of self-tanning. A few handy accessories can help with a flawless application, such as self-tanning application gloves or an application mitt.
- Take Time to Dry: Let the self-tanner dry for at least 10 minutes after you’ve applied it. You also want to wear loose clothing and avoid sweating for about three hours after the application. If possible, wait at least six to eight hours before showering.
Note that certain self-tanning products, like Fake Bake’s Flawless Coconut Tanning Serum for Face and Body, require you to rinse off the guide color with warm water after development time. Always go for the specific instructions that come with each product for best results.
How to Maintain a Self-Tan Between Applications
To keep your tan looking amazing between your weekly applications, you want to properly care for it.
- Use a Daily Moisturizer: Keeping your skin moisturized is important for maintaining a healthy, sumptuous glow. Use the same type of lightweight, oil-free body spray or moisturizer you used to prep for your tan.
- Avoid Harsh Products: Harsh products can decrease the vibrancy of your tan, making it fade at a rapid rate. Examples include exfoliators, retinols and acne treatments.
- Don’t Forget the Sunscreen: Remember that you still need to protect your skin with sunscreen if you’re heading out in the sun. Select a broad-spectrum, water-resistant sunscreen with a SPF of 30 or higher.
Now that you know what you need to do to keep your tan looking its best and lasting its longest, all that’s left is stock up on the best self-tanning products. You’re in the right place for that, with a selection of the hottest self-tanning lotion, liquid, gel, mousse and serum from Fake Bake. Browse the selection, find the formula that delivers what you’re after, then place your order today.